Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Kade Starts Preschool, Mommie/Daughter Date, Epic Football Game

Kade started Preschool with Miss Char last week. I asked her how he was doing, and she said, "He has a mind of his own." I guess he is taking a while to participate in all the activities with the kids, especially singing and dancing. He told me that all his friends were dancing around and, "I just wanted them to stop!" He's just like his dad and only dances in the privacy of his own home.
For Grace's birthday present, I bought her a bottle of nail polish with a note attached that said I owe her an outing to get her hair cut, a donut, and a manicure. We did that this Saturday morning. She got her very first professional hair trim. She talked the hair dresser's ear off about school, the treasure box at school, and everything she is learning there. It was so cute.
Bountiful is the first city in the state of Utah to have a Dunkin' Donuts. How lucky for us, right? They just opened and Grace has been curious about this place ever since construction started. If there is one food that I refuse to eat, it's a donut. I had a bad experience with one back in high school and have never liked them since. Also, the dietitian in me can't justify consuming them. But, if Grace wants one, I guess it is OK on occasion. It turns out she just wanted the top half of it anyways.
Now, on to the Football Game. Neil got four tickets from a friend at work for the BYU vs. Texas game. We decided to take the whole family and go. When we left Bountiful at 3 PM, it appeared to be a picture perfect day for a football game. Hardly a cloud in the sky and 80 degrees. By the time we got to Provo, the sky was dark. We stopped at Walgreens to get an umbrella just in case it started to rain. When I came out of the store five minutes later, the wind was whipping and the most creepy-looking clouds were cruising across the sky. Driving in thick, game-day traffic we saw people parked by the side of the road or standing outside their homes just watching the sky.
Within ten minutes, it started to downpour. The streets became rivers with over 8 inches of rain streaming down them. It was so crazy!!
We heard on the radio that they were going to delay the game until the storm stopped. The kids, of course, had to go potty at this time, so we pulled into a restaurant and took turns taking them in. While Neil was inside the store and I was in the van with the three kids, it started to hail nickel-size pellets. I was sure our van was going to get damaged. The wind gusts were up to 60 miles per hour. It was getting pretty worrisome now. Grace wanted to go home and Kade was pretty scared. To be honest, so was I! We made our way to Sam and Julie's apartment at Wymount Terrace and waited out the storm until the evacuation in the Football stadium was lifted. On our way, we saw downed trees and limbs like this one in front of the Missionary Training Center.
Luckily, we suffered no damage. The rain trickled to a drizzle and off we went to the game, two hours after it was supposed to have started. Neil nor I thought our kids would make it through the whole game. I had a key to Sam's apartment, planning to leave at half-time. Amazingly, it turned out to be that perfect night for a football game which we had originally expected. It was just a bit of a detour getting to that point! It drizzled rain a few times, but nothing unbearable.
Kathryn got very fussy in the first quarter, so I started out towards the car. However, when I reached the bottom of the stairs she was asleep. I held her in my arms as she slept the rest of the game!
 Grace and Kade had a great time cheering for the Cougars. In the fourth quarter, Grace fell asleep on Neil's lap and Kade started getting bored. So he made friends with the family of one of the defensive ends sitting behind us. They played "I Spy the Y" for the whole quarter. Every time he saw a 'Y' he slapped their teenage daughter on the knee to show her. She was kind to entertain him.
 The trip and our late night (we returned home after midnight) was so worth it. We had a great adventure and made some fun memories. This football game topped any game I ever went to in College. The Cougars had an outstanding performance against the Longhorns. Taysom Hill, the quarterback, scored three rushing touchdowns and broke a BYU record for the most rushing yards in one game. Overall they ran 99 plays, had almost 600 rushing yards and allowed less than 200 from Texas. It was such a fun game to watch. We won in a final score of 21 to 40. Texas was ranked #15 and we weren't even ranked. Everyone on ESPN is still talking about this game. GO COUGARS!!!

No comments: