Saturday, August 31, 2013

Back to School and Birthday Week

The last week before school started seemed to drag on forever. We did everything to stay busy, but the kids were so excited about this week that it was hard.
They played card games,  we went on walks, library runs, and this little cutie was so good to just go along with it all.
We had a special Summer awards evening Sunday night before, and reflected on the good things the kids did and learned this summer. They each got school supplies and new clothes as "awards." Grace became quite the artist this summer. She was always drawing coloring, and decorating the house with her creations. Kade was our family's best big brother this summer. He was a buddy to Kathryn and was always making her laugh or smile when she was sad. Both kids learned to be really good helpers. They helped vacuum, sweep the kitchen, set the table, fill water glasses, get themselves dressed with hair combed and teeth brushed in the morning, buckle their own seat belts, and make their own beds. Kathryn accomplished two teeth breaking through, solid foods in a high chair, and unsupported sitting this summer.
Neil gave Grace, Kade and me Prieshood Father's blessings after our awards night. I think out of the three of us, I needed the blessing the most. This is a big change for me, and after this week I have realized how much of all this is on my shoulders. Car pools, schedules, bed times, music lessons, and homework all get done dependent upon how organized I am. It's a lot of pressure, but the challenge is already proving to be an opportunity for growth for me.
The big day finally came, and Grace was so excited. She had her clothes laid out the night before, her backpack was ready, and she was dressed as the sun was coming up. I hardly had time to be teary-eyed about my baby going to kindergarten. With the busyness of the morning, I just didn't think about it. However, arriving at the school with Grace, I saw the other Moms waiting for orientation and their eyes were red from crying. Then it donned on me that this is a big change and it is a little sad. From then on, I did not make eye contact with any other mothers--it was making me choke up now.
Grace did great on her first day. She already knew the drill of lining up, listening to the teacher, and participating in class. She made a few friends too.

The rest of the week was jam-packed with a preschool orientation for Kade, a parent's meeting for Grace's Let's Play Music class, and lots of birthday celebrating. Grace turned five years old on Thursday. We started out the morning with blueberry pancakes, Grace's favorite. I gave her a birthday ribbon to wear to school, and she said that all the kids called her the birthday girl that day. I think it made her feel special.
We had a party with some of the neighborhood girls. Grace wanted to have a rainbow theme, so I decorated with lots of colorful balloons and a rainbow cake. The girls had fun splashing in the pool, playing in the sprinkler, and playing games. I made pizza and rainbow fruit kabobs. Grace said, "My birthday was the best day ever!" It was a LOT of work for me, so I'm glad that it was such a success.



 


1 comment:

jenn + michael said...

You have a daughter in school!! I cannot believe it. How did that happen?