Friday, August 5, 2011

A Prompting

Neil was traveling for work the last week in July before his parents returned back to the D.R. Whenever he is away, I always pray for added protection from any dangers that might come our way. Mom, Dad, and Spencer spent most nights at Nate's house while Neil was gone, so I found myself home alone during the evenings--which I hate. I always stay up way too late, worrying about the world's problems, and I don't get very much sleep. This night was no different. However, rather than waking up the next morning to the sound of my kids, I woke up at 6:00 AM with a jolt. Without even thinking, I ran out of my bed and into the bathroom. When I returned and began pulling down the covers to get back in bed, I saw creeping down my pillow, an Arizona Bark Scorpion with its prongs out and its tail erect, ready for battle. EWWWWW! For a split second, I looked down at that awful insect and realized that the prompting I felt a few seconds earlier to jump out of my bed was not an idea just of my own. I knew I had been protected. I quickly ran to the kitchen, grabbed a Tupperware, ran back to my bed, and shut that horrible scorpion inside. How on EARTH did this thing get in MY BED?!?The next day, our neighbor who does pest control for us came over to take a look at our bedroom to see how that scorpion might have gotten in. He took one step into the room and said, "Oh, I know how that scorpion got in here!" In the ceiling just above my pillow is a small can reading light. Regular can lights are installed into the sheet rock, but this smaller light comes directly from the attic. The scorpion made its way, following the light from my room, and fell through the fixture. Thus, if I did not move as quickly as I did at that very moment the morning before, the scorpion would have landed on my face and stung me! This information reconfirmed to me that the idea I had to jump out of bed the morning before was a prompting from the Holy Ghost. Heavenly Father was answering my prayers from the nights before that my kids and I would be protected while Neil was away.

2 comments:

Dan and Louise said...

Wow! Ya, those things are terrible creatures. So glad you are safe!

Shannon said...

What a great story to remind me of the tender mercies of Heavenly Father, that He answers our prayers and that the gift of the Holy Ghost protects in all sorts of ways.

Glad you didn't get stung!