On May 25, 2016, I lost my Grandpa Bowman. He's my first grandparent to ever pass away, and it was harder to deal with than I had anticipated. Grandpa has been in poor health for quite some time now, so it was not a shock, but it was unexpected and difficult just the same. The first feeling I felt when I heard the news was guilt. I had felt a prompting hours before he passed that I ought to call Grandpa and visit. Instead I called my dad to ask him a silly question about sprinklers. I missed my chance to say one last goodbye. Grandpa was out working in the yard with some hired help. When Grandma went inside to get a check to pay the man, Grandpa rested in a chair on the patio and passed away before Grandma returned. I am grateful that he passed quickly and peacefully, but it still feels strange that he is gone.

Neil and I flew to California over Memorial Day weekend to be with our family for Grandpa's funeral and services. Bekah and I sang "Oh My Father" during the service at their Stake Center.
Lots of memories were shared, and it was really enjoyable to be with my cousins, Brittney and Bri, and Aunt Susan and Uncle Bob. We spent the entire afternoon and evening together, playing card games and visiting in Grandma's back yard.
Tuesday morning was Grandpa's Internment. It was so special to be at a National Cemetery the day after Memorial Day. A sea of American Flags dotted the grassy area.
The Naval officers were so kind to us and attentive to our family, and the ceremony was very dramatic and touching.
It is a comforting feeling to know we will see Grandpa again someday. It's even more comforting to realize he is now one of my guardian angels watching over me from Heaven. I'm sure he is very busy on the other side helping others learn about Jesus, but I have felt his presence already and know he will be popping in every now and then to check on my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment