And, of course, it never hurts when he brings home souvenirs!
We have become more physically active as a family. When it was warm enough outside I put the two babies in the double stroller while the two older kids rode bikes on a nearby trail. Now that it's too cold, I just jog laps around the back yard before the kids wake up in the mornings. It feels SO good to exercise again. Neil and I are on the same team for a fitness challenge put on by Health Catalyst. It is the perfect motivation to keep moving! Neil wakes up before the sun, puts on all his winter gear and runs in frigid weather most every morning. He has impressive will power to get out of our warm bed each morning all by himself. Usually, he exercises, showers, and reads scriptures before any of us get out of bed.Mom Andersen put together a random picnic in the canyon for what she calls the "Utah Crew." She made soup, bread, potato salad and apple crisp. I am so glad she got us together, because this was the last weekend before the Fall colors were gone. Have I mentioned yet how much we love living close to her and Dad?
Kathryn has been showing a lot of personality lately. (Note her "silly face" in the previous photo.) I think it is due to two things. First: she is getting close to turning two years old, and although she yammers incessantly, we still can't understand everything she wants or needs. Second: she has to act out a little more now that our time is divided into quarters instead of thirds. We still, however, find her nestled in a corner singing quietly or reading books to herself.
Saying life is 'normal' now is not completely accurate. We have a new normal now. Projects I used to do during quiet time are being left undone and replaced with maintaining household chores. With that, common chores and errands take longer with an unpredictable little one. I have to laugh when, without fail, either my toddler or newborn will consistently have a dirty diaper which needs changed right as we are leaving the house to take Grace to school. At least their digestive systems are working! I keep thinking of what Sister Linda S. Reeves said in the April 2014 Conference Address: “It is OK if the house is a mess and the children are still in their pajamas and some responsibilities are left undone. The only things that really need to be accomplished in the home are daily scripture study and prayer and weekly family home evening.” Thus, I have been re-prioritizing my time in order to do the most important things. There just isn't much more that can fit into our life right now than scriptures, prayer, FHE, homemaking, school carpool/volunteering and homework. I am learning to say 'no' to all the ambitions I have--righteous as they may be-- in order to give my children the gift of a peaceful home and mother.
The hardest part for me to which there is no solution or cure, is balancing quality time with all four kids. Christopher requires my constant care and he needs a certain amount of holding and nurturing through the day. At the same time, Kathryn will get into all sorts of mischief if she is left to roam the house too long. Kade has to get at least one hour of one-on-one attention from me, or his demeanor is totally unruly by the end of the day. Grace needs help with homework and wants to invite friends over for play dates. Each child yearns for time with my undivided attention, but often another child screams louder for it. Sometimes, I just have to let one cry while I help the other. It is just hard to figure out which one to help and which one to let cry.
As for me, I just want to sit and cuddle each one of them for even a minute, all alone. That is especially true with Christopher. He is not going to stay this small much longer (he has already grown to 14 pounds). But I realize the day must move forward when I get a phone call asking why Kade isn't at preschool 15 minutes after it already started. I feel so bad when I realize Christopher spent most of the day in his car seat while I drove his siblings to and from school, and helped them with all of their needs
Overall, the children are all happy, healthy, and growing normally. Neil and I love each other more than ever as we work together to raise our family the best way we know how. We see the Lord reaching His hand out to bless us every day. We don't deserve all the blessings He gives us, but we sure are grateful for them.









1 comment:
I love reading that other people have the same struggles as me... :) Granted, we usually have 3 poopy diapers - IN the car. And I loved kathryn reading in the corner. When dallin is doing that, i at first think its cute and then i start to feel SOOO sad recognizing he is trying his hardest to figure out how to entertain himself. I start recognizing how much he still needs me-- poor kids. they'll survive somehow!
Can't wait for you guys to come stay with us -- it'll be a PARTY! Definitely count on someone crying at all times. :)
Post a Comment