Monday, March 31, 2014

Kade's 4th Birthday

Ahoy Mates! Kade turned 4 today! He is so in to pirates lately. His favorite show to watch on weekends is "Jake and the Neverland Pirates." He has all the songs and some of the repetitive lines of the show memorized. He is ALWAYS dressing up in his pirate costume and can always be found with his sword in hand. Thus, it made perfect sense that he requested a pirate theme for his birthday. Most of the children invited were girls, because that's what we have his age in our neighborhood. They seemed to have a lot of fun, however.
We played pin-the-feather on the pirate hat, broke a pirate hat pinata, danced to pirate music, played bean-bag toss, and read a pirate book.

We made and decorated periscopes out of empty toilet paper rolls. For snacks we had "Captain Hook's catch o' the day" (Goldfish crackers), and "cannonballs"(grapes). Grandma Andersen is in town preparing for General Conference, and she was a lifesaver helping me entertain 9 small children.
Because the party happened from 9:00 to 11:00 in the morning, I thought it was silly to serve cake and ice cream at that early hour. So, instead, the kids took home these cute pirate bananas for their treat. No one mentioned anything about the lack of a cake, so maybe this will become an Andersen birthday party tradition!
Although Kade is a Pirate, he still enjoys the "Indian gear" Grandpa gifted him!
Later in the evening, the Dallas' joined our family and Grandma and Grandpa Andersen for cake. See, I am not a totally heartless/health fanatic mom. I just thought one cake for the day was enough! Since Danielle was here, we seized the opportunity and I sang one of her Hymn arrangements for Mom and Dad Andersen. I enjoy any excuse to sing with my dear, concert-pianist friend!

No comments: