With as much fun as we had a Christmas time, I still had a constant, underlying dread which made my stomach turn every time I thought about my upcoming surgery. After having had tonsillitis SEVEN times in about ten months, I received the order to get my tonsils removed. The pain was a little more severe than I thought it would be, but I was told beforehand by the surgeon that it would be a very painful and fairly long recovery. He was right. Luckily, my mom stayed in town a week after my dad went back home so she could take care of me and my children. For eight days post-operation, this was my life: painkillers, and ice packs. I had a baby monitor next to my bed so I could tap on it when I needed something. My mom got up with me through the night every four hours to bring me medicine and a fresh icepack.
For the first four days I ate nothing but water, apple juice, and Wendy's Frostys. By day five I was able to eat mashed potatoes and soups, and by day twelve I was eating almost normally again. Although the pain was excruciating, the feeling of relief knowing that the nuisances in the back of my throat are gone for good has made it all worth it.
Not only did my mom take care of me at every waking hour, but she cooked, cleaned, entertained, diapered, fed, and loved my children while I was down. She made the best food for them, took them on walks, and played with them in the backyard every day. Best of all, she potty-trained Grace for me!! We missed her greatly after she went home. She showed us what real, Christlike service looks like. Thanks Mom!
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment