Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Car-sick baby


We took a car trip up to Utah last weekend for our dear friend, Kari Olson's, wedding. We love him so much that we endured the most painstakingly slow trip to Utah we have ever traveled. First, Kade had a blow-out diaper that was so bad we tossed his clothes in the trash. Then, Grace threw up almost 15 times, making the 10-hour trip close to 13 hours long. She made it only 30 minutes into the drive before gagging. After stopping by the side of the road several times, we stopped in Flagstaff and spent an hour cleaning her up. We invested in a plastic bib to help protect from more accidents, even though we hoped there wouldn't be any more. Thirty minutes later, she lost her cookies again...and again...and again.
Finally at our destination, the kids both got a warm bath at Grandma Bennion's house.
 
Car-sickness isn't anything new for Grace. She has been doing this ever since she turned one year old and started sitting in a forward-facing car seat. It always happens when I am on my way to run an errand. Sometimes I just go back home when it happens. Other times, I clean her up as best as possible and continue onward. One of the more inconvenient episodes was on my way to meet her Aunt Becca at a half-way point to her house so she could play for the day while I rested with Kade. I had hardly any wipes, and just enough hand sanitizer to clean her with. I pulled into a gas station to change her clothes when I realized the only extra clothes I had was a onesie for Kade. I couldn't just put her dirty clothes back on, so the 0-3-month-old size onesie had to do. Then, I realized I still needed to get her over to Becca's doctor's office where we were meeting across the street. I couldn't put her back in the messy car seat, and the upholstery of the seat between her car seat and Kade's was covered in the mess too. Thus, Grace sat in the front seat next to me, while we drove across the street to meet Aunt Becca. When Becca saw her, she giggled at how funny she looked wearing nothing but a stretched out BYU cougars onesie and brown flowery shoes. She still took her with into her doctor's appointment, and only got a couple of strange glances from the people in the office. Grace was perfectly content to stay in her silly outfit the rest of the day until her Aunt Andrea brought her back to me later that evening.

2 comments:

Dan and Louise said...

Wow! What a trip! You guys are troopers. She's adorable as ever!

Chloe and Tyler said...

Oh my goodness Megan, I still don't know how you guys made it on that trip. Twice was enough for me on our trip. We're leaving for California tomorrow so hopefully nothing that bad awaits us.
P.S. It was fun hanging out with you guys the other day, we'll have to do it again soon.