Friday, June 5, 2009

Streptococcal Pharangitis

On Tuesday, Grace woke up with a fever of 103 degrees F. I thought it was just a teething fever, so I carried on as usual with our day. After her lunch, I set her in her bouncer and she started screaming and grunting. Mom Andersen suggested that this was kind of fishy. After she threw up a couple times, I agreed, and we went to an urgent care facility. I had to help the doctor pin Grace down to the examination table so she could get a look inside of Grace's ears. What a terrible experience that was! It reminded me of a cowboy trying to tie down a baby calf for branding. Everything looked normal, so the Doc took a swab of Grace's throat and found she tested positive for strep throat. Grace was so fatigued by the end of our visit that she fell asleep on my chest in the doctor's office. I knew she was really feeling badly, because she never does that anymore. Poor thing! After we got home, she got a good dose of some Tylenol to decrease her fever, and amoxicillin to kill the strep infection. She woke up around 8:00 PM and couldn't settle down to sleep again. Neil and Matt gave her a preisthood blessing and she fell asleep for another two hours. When she woke up again we were all kneeling down for family prayer. Her fever had broken and I could tell she was feeling better because she was rolling and crawling all over the place. Spencer had her giggling and playing like she had never even been sick. Grace has been recovering well ever since. Thank goodness for faith and modern medicine!


5 comments:

Chloe and Tyler said...

Oh poor thing. Hope she's doing better. Good thing you went and had her checked out.

Anonymous said...

Oh my poor baby is not feeling well!
I can't wait to see her! Her hair looks like it is getting more and more curly like mom's!

Anonymous said...

Oh my poor baby is not feeling well!
I can't wait to see her! Her hair looks like it is getting more and more curly like mom's!

Clayton and Amber said...

Ty just saw this video and said, "that's baby grace...she is sooooo cute!" That is so sad that she was so sick. Sick babies is the WORST! Poor thing. I'm glad she's feeling better. Glad you took her in and that the medicine made her feel better so soon! We can't wait to see you guys!

JT said...

I've been gone for an entire month and all I get is one blog update? i can call you guys it you send me your phone number. jtr1118@hotmail.com