Friday, January 23, 2009

Life Changes

December was a month of changes for the Andersens. Just before my finals started, I found out that my cousin, Kameron, had passed away. I finished my finals in record time so I could fly to Wyoming to be with my family. I am so impressed with the way my Aunt and Uncle have been doing. They are both so humble and concerned with consoling others more than themselves. Their biggest concern lies with my sweet cousin, Kassidy. They are doing an amazing job making sure she is healing from such a surprising upset as losing her big brother. Kameron was only 17 years old. He played on the football team and was loved my many. Everyone in the school and most everyone in the community knew Kameron, and it was a miracle to watch as they all came together during my family's time of need. My parents home became a refuge for my aunt, uncle, and cousin. Within hours of the incident, their home was filled with meals to feed an army and a constant flow of people, coming to offer their help. What a blessing it is to have grown up in such a small town. At times, it may seem difficult, because everyone knows everyone else's business, but when someone is in need, the community is always quick to come to their aid. Kameron's service was held in the high school gymnasium, and it was packed. The whole community was there to grieve and celebrate Kameron's life with us. My entire family--cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandma--sat on the front row together, arm in arm. We are a tight-knit group who is always there for each other, and this was no exception. We always had family game nights, birthday parties, and holiday celebrations together. As my cousin, Emily, mentioned at Kameron's service, we aren't just cousins, aunts, and uncles, we are extended brothers and sisters. Growing up, it was uncommon to ever see one of us without the other. Maybe this is why Kameron's passing came as such a shock to us all. Although we will miss him deeply, our family is one that will get through this with grace. I had many people come up to me after Kameron's service to tell me that they are so impressed with my family. "You guys can get through anything!" they said. It's true. The Gospel of our Savior, Jesus Christ and the healing power of His Atonement can truly allow us to overcome any trial we will ever face. As for the next life change, news of it came the night before I was to leave for Wyoming. Neil came home from work and told me that the firm he works for has been experiencing some losses during this turn of the economy. His firm had to downsize their employees, and he was one of them. Luckily, Neil is a smart man, and we already have a plan. While we were in AZ for Christmas, Neil met with a family friend who runs a consulting business for small medical practices. So far, the business is pretty successful, and he wants Neil to help it grow. This is a perfect fit for the career Neil has always hoped he would have. He likes the feel associated with a smaller business. Thus, we have decided to move to Arizona after I graduate from BYU in April, to take a small risk that should bring a big return. In the meantime, Neil will travel to AZ once a month for a week at a time to start learning the medical field. He will be helping his clients learn how to be more efficient and make more money as a business, so he first needs to learn the details to what takes place at medical practices. We are excited about the whole thing, but more than anything, we are grateful. Grateful for the Lord and His constant hand we have seen, reaching out to send us blessings each and every day. Funny how we plan our lives a certain way that seems the best one for our future, and then it changes. The Lord gives us blessings that are much better than anything we could ever come up with on our own.

6 comments:

whitney.evan said...

I am sorry to hear about your cousin and Neil's job. I'm glad that you have something in place. Evan applied to three schools in Arizona, so there is a chance we could be joining you there!

Matt and Becca said...

WE MISS YOU!! Suddenly Orem feels really far away. Can we PLEASE play soon??? :)

P.S. Not that you care, but we still don't like the idea of you moving all the way to Arizona. :(

Chloe and Tyler said...

So sorry to hear about your cousin, what an amazing story. Also, we're sad Neil had to loose his job but glad you have another one to look forward too. Tyler also lost his job in November due to the economy and we're still looking. How fun you get to move to AZ, that should be fun to be close to family.

GrampaR said...

The only benefit of you moving to Az is Spring Training.

Your comments are well said Megan,I wish you were moving closer to Wy
Love'
DaD

runningmom said...

I like your write up....says so much about the type of people you guys are. Truly amazing people. God does watch over us and cares deeply....but you guys are also the type to step up to a challenge. May God bless you. (We've been sad about the change in job for you guys but sounds like it could work out well...I miss you guys!)

andrea said...

I hope that everything works out. If there is anything that I can help with the medical field let me know (I am a nurse and I only work with doctors)