Saturday, November 8, 2008

Happy Birthday Neil!

Today my dear husband turned 24. I picked him up from the airport last night after his week-long review in Vegas. He was home Saturday long enough to celebrate, and then he will leave again for California tomorrow morning.
After a week in the "City of Sin", I knew Neil would want a simple day with the people he loved most. We began our day with a nice family walk in the beautiful Fall weather. Then, Neil went to the BYU football game with his brother and nephew while I stayed home baking his favorite treats: Mom Andersen's oatmeal cake, and apple crisp with double topping.
James and Shawnne babysat Grace while Neil and I went to the temple. Neil said that he really needed that experience he had at the temple. Afterwards, we went to Tucanos to use Neil's free birthday dinner. Earlier that week, I treked around the cities of Provo and Orem trying to find him the perfect birthday present. I wanted to replace the battery in his watch that hasn't worked since we've been married. When I found out that the battery would be worth more than his whole watch, I decided to just get him a new one. I was nervous that Neil wouldn't like it and think I spent too much money. When I gave it to him during our dinner at Tucanos, he just loved it. What a relief!
After dinner, we had Neil's brothers, a few cousins, and some friends over for dessert. We played the game "Why I love Neil". Everyone got the chance to tell a couple reasons why they love Neil. However, the game must have gotten old by the time my turn came around, because I never got a turn. So I will give a couple reasons here: 1. He is so sweet. 2. He is considerate. Before he goes away on business, he cleans the house and stocks me and Grace up on necessities, so I don't have to run to the store while he's gone. 3. Neil is the most selfless person I know. He is always thinking outward and serving others. 4. Neil is a perfect father. I've asked Mom Andersen a couple times how she raised her son to be such a good dad. She told me that she and Dad always tried to raise good parents instead of good kids. 5. Neil makes me laugh. He's always doing weird things or making funny sound-effects that crack me up.
Happy Birthday, Babe. I love you!

1 comment:

Matt and Becca said...

Classic! Love the last picture. Thanks for including us in the festivities. We loved getting to know Neil better! And I'm sure next year we'll have our share of "Neil memories" to share too!

When are we doing our "Christmas party"?? We have ideas...